This recipe provided by Kellogg’s Healthy Beginnings
Watch the video!
Spicy Bean Burgers
Chili powder and onion add lots of flavor to these easy-to-make bean patties. Serve them for dinner along with picante sauce or salsa.
Servings: 4 (1 serving = 1 patty)
- 2 1/4 cup cups rice cereal
- 1 can pinto beans (15 oz.) drained and rinsed
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup onion or bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tsp Vegetable oil
- Crush 3/4 cup of the cereal into fine crumbs. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups cereal, beans, egg, water, chili powder and salt. Use potato masher to coarsely mash mixture. Stir in onion. Use 1/2 cup measure to portion mixture into 4 mounds. Shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Coat with crushed cereal.
- Cook patties in large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick spray over medium-high heat for 6 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once and adding oil to skillet when needed. Serve hot with picante sauce or salsa, if desired.