Bean and Lentil Hacks - Mix, Coat, Swap and Top
Every WIC food has a specific nutrition role to fill. Why beans and lentils? Beans and lentils provide a low fat source of:
Bean and Lentil Hacks for Better Health. While they take more time to cook than canned, dried beans have a rich flavor that is worth the wait.
- Protein, which provides energy and helps your body build bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, blood, enzymes and hormones.
- Fiber, which helps keep you regular and helps you feel full after a meal. Certain fibers can also help control blood cholesterol levels and prevent heart disease.
- Folate/Folic Acid, which helps with cell growth and development.
- Soak beans according to package instructions and then cook over night on low in a slow cooker.
Whether you are working with dried or canned beans, it is easy to run out of ideas on how to use them, here is some inspiration to help you enjoy the health benefits of cooking with beans:
- Cook a big pot of dried beans on the weekend and freeze them in 1 quart freezer bags for weeks of easy use.
- Top salads with lentils, black beans, or garbanzo beans for extra protein, flavor, and texture.
- Mix mashed beans into meatballs, meatloaf, or burgers to get more servings out of the recipes and improve the texture of the food.
- Swap mashed white or black beans for mayonnaise