Information for WIC Participants Regarding Formula Availability
Which formulas can I buy?
Due to the formula recall, Oregon WIC participants who receive formula can temporarily use their WIC EBT cards to purchase specific alternative options. Click here to see a list of allowed formula alternatives.
If you need to purchase formula using your WIC benefits:
- We are once again starting to see Similac powder formulas in stores. If the formula listed on your benefit is available, please use your eWIC card to purchase it.
- If you cannot find the formula listed on your benefit or any of the alternative formulas, please call your local WIC clinic to explore options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are homemade formulas safe?
A: No. The FDA strongly advises to not feed homemade formula to infants. Feeding infants homemade formula can be life-threatening due to the potential for contamination and the absence of or inadequate amounts of vital nutrients.
Q: Are the Similac formulas currently available in stores safe to use?
A: Recalled products should no longer be available for sale. If you feel unsure, use the lot number as shown below to check against recalled products.
Q: Which products were recalled?
A: Abbott Nutrition recalled several powder infant formulas in February 2022. Here’s how you can tell if you have any of those products:
- Enter the lot number into the Similac Recall site: similacrecall.com
Affected products have lot numbers with all three of the following:
- The first two digits between 22 through 37, and
- A code on the container contains K8, SH, or Z2, and
- An expiration date of 04/01/2022 or later.
If the formula you have was recalled:
- Do NOT use the formula.
Options to exchange or replace it are:
- Call Abbott directly at 1-800-986-8540.
- Check with your store. WIC has temporarily approved additional options for replacing recalled formula, which may include, but are not limited to, the same product, a substitute product, store credit, or a cash refund.