Pasta with Spinach, Tomatoes and Beans
A hearty meatless recipe with beans as the star ingredient! Whole grain pasta adds extra fiber and protein.
Servings: 6 1 cup servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 15oz can kidney beans or chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes partially drained
- 1 15oz can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat and swirl to coat the pan.
Chop the onion and celery and add to the pan, stirring frequently. Cook until onion and celery are translucent, about 3 minutes.
Add garlic powder to the pan and stir.
Open the beans and rinse well. Add the diced tomatoes and chicken broth to the pan and stir gently. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Next, add the spinach and pasta noodles to the pan. Mix well and allow to heat through for 2-3 minutes.
Season with pepper and parmesan cheese to taste.
Tips & Suggestions
- Add leftover cooked veggies or frozen veggies that you may already have
- Add other leafy greens instead of spinach
- Add 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes during step 3 to add a little spice
- Experiment with different types of whole wheat noodles—you can also try this recipe with cooked brown rice
- Garnish with fresh basil