Every WIC food has a specific nutrition role to fill. Why yogurt? Yogurt provides an excellent source of:
Yogurt Hacks For Better Health. Yogurt is great for adding protein or replacing higher fat foods.
- Vitamin D, which helps your body to absorb calcium
- Calcium, which helps your body build and maintain strong bones
- Protein, which provides energy and helps your body build bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, blood, enzymes and hormones.
- Healthy bacteria (also called probiotics) that can improve your digestive health.
- Swap plain yogurt for sour cream in dressing and dip recipes
- Mix plain yogurt into fruit smoothies, or layer with fruit and cereal for crunchy sweet parfaits
- Mix plain yogurt with peanut butter, mashed fruit, or mashed avocado to add flavor
- Coat chicken or fish in yogurt instead of eggs, and then roll in crushed cereal and bake for crispy oven fried dishes
- Swap plain yogurt mixed with a little milk with buttermilk for recipes that call for it