This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Magazine.
Basic Chicken Soup
A soothing and flavorful chicken soup filled with veggies and whole grains.
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup brown rice, barley, or small whole wheat pasta uncooked
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
Place a large pot on medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil begins to sizzle, add the cut-up onion, celery, and carrots. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender, stirring every few minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Add the rice, barley, or pasta and cook until soft. (10 minutes for pasta, 25 minutes for brown rice/barley)
Add the chicken and stir. Cook until heated throughout, about 3-5 minutes.
Serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Try different flavor combinations!
- Lemon – add 1 bay leaf and zest of one lemon when adding the stock. (Remove bay leaf before serving.)
- Herb– add 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence when adding vegetables
- Greens & Parmesan cheese- add 2 cups fresh spinach leaves and ½ cup parmesan cheese when adding chicken at the end, just before serving.
- Mexican- add tortilla chips and ¼ cup cilantro instead of grains. Serve with a lime wedge!
- Tortellini – add tortellini instead of other grains – a kid favorite.