This recipe provided by Kellogg’s Healthy Beginnings
Berry Topped French Toast
A scrumptious sauce made from strawberries and applesauce tops this easy-to-prepare French toast
- 2 cups wheat flakes cereal
- 2 cups rice flakes cereal
- 1 egg, slightly beated
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 slices firm 100% whole wheat bread
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries or frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
- cinnamon optional
- Place cereal in shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine egg, milk and vanilla.
- Quickly dip bread into egg mixture, coating both sides. Roll in cereal, coating on both sides. Place in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet generously coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° F oven for 7 minutes. Turn bread. Bake at 450° F about 5 minutes more or until crisp and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan bring applesauce and 1 cup of the strawberries to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until berries are soft. Use potato masher to mash strawberries. Stir in remaining 2 cups strawberries. Heat through.
- To serve, place one slice of bread on each serving plate. Top with strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon (if desired).