Crunchy Topped Chili-Mac Skillet
Chili and macaroni skillet dinners have been part of the American food experience for decades, but this version is features extra lean ground turkey and whole wheat macaroni
Course: Mains & Sides
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (8 oz.) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup dry whole wheat elbow marcaroni
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/3 cup corn flake cereal
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
In large skillet cook turkey and onion in oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break up big chunks.
Stir in beans, water, salsa, tomato sauce, uncooked macaroni and chili powder. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Stir in 1 cup of the cereal. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes more or until desired consistency.
Remove from heat. Sprinkle cheese and remaining 1/3 cup cereal over top. Let stand, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Ladle onto serving plates or bowls.