This recipe provided by Kellogg’s Healthy Beginnings
Crunchy Topped Chili-Mac Skillet
Chili and macaroni skillet dinners have been part of the American food experience for decades, but this version is features extra lean ground turkey and whole wheat macaroni
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (8 oz.) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup dry whole wheat elbow marcaroni
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/3 cup corn flake cereal
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- In large skillet cook turkey and onion in oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break up big chunks.
- Stir in beans, water, salsa, tomato sauce, uncooked macaroni and chili powder. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Stir in 1 cup of the cereal. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes more or until desired consistency.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle cheese and remaining 1/3 cup cereal over top. Let stand, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Ladle onto serving plates or bowls.