This recipe provided by Connecticut Department of Public Health WIC and SNAP-Ed
Baked Chicken with Vegetables
This one dish meal contains a cup of vegetables in every serving.
- 4 potatoes with skin (sliced (WIC approved)
- 1 pound carrot (about 6-8 carrots, sliced) (WIC approved)
- 1 onion (large, quartered) (WIC approved)
- 1 chicken (raw, cut into pieces, skin removed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp dry thyme or any other dry herb of your choice
- 1/4 tsp pepper (optional)
- Scrub potatoes. Remove any bad spots. Do not peel. Cut potatoes into slices.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a large roasting pan.
- Put chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- Mix water, thyme and pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Spoon juices over chicken once or twice during cooking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for one hour or more until browned and tender.
- Can use chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken.
- Can replace some or all of the carrots with celery or other root vegetables.
- Can replace thyme with other herbs such as basil, sage, oregano or poultry seasoning.
- Each serving contains a cup of vegetables.