This recipe provided by Connecticut Department of Public Health WIC and SNAP-Ed
Baked Chicken with Vegetables
1 hr 10 mins
This one dish meal contains a cup of vegetables in every serving.
Course: Main Dish
- 4 potatoes with skin (sliced (WIC approved)
- 1 pound carrot (about 6-8 carrots, sliced) (WIC approved)
- 1 onion (large, quartered) (WIC approved)
- 1 chicken (raw, cut into pieces, skin removed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp dry thyme or any other dry herb of your choice
- 1/4 tsp pepper (optional)
Scrub potatoes. Remove any bad spots. Do not peel. Cut potatoes into slices.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a large roasting pan.
Put chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
Mix water, thyme and pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
Spoon juices over chicken once or twice during cooking.
Bake at 400 degrees for one hour or more until browned and tender.
- Can use chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken.
- Can replace some or all of the carrots with celery or other root vegetables.
- Can replace thyme with other herbs such as basil, sage, oregano or poultry seasoning.
- Each serving contains a cup of vegetables.