This recipe provided by Connecticut Department of Public Health WIC and SNAP-Ed
Whole grain fried rice dish with vegetables for an extra nutritional kick. Whole grains make a difference!
Servings: 6 1 cup servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups boiling bag or instant brown rice (cooked) (WIC approved)
- 1 carrot (diced) (WIC approved)
- 1/2 cup broccoli (chopped) (WIC approved)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped) (WIC approved)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten (WIC approved)
- 3/4 cup cooked chicken (diced)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add rice and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrot, bell pepper, onion, broccoli, soy sauce, black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Remove mixture from pan.
- Pour eggs into pan and scramble.
- Put vegetable mix and rice back in the pan and mix with scrambled eggs.
- Add chicken and cook until hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Substitute chicken with beef, turkey or tofu. Substitute any fresh, frozen or canned vegetables you like or use leftover vegetables This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program—SNAP. SNAP helps low income people buy nutritious food for a better diet. To get more information contact the CT Department of Social Services at 1- (855) 626-6632 or www.ct.gov/dss. USDA does not endorse any products, services, or organizations. Provided by the CT Department of Public Health in partnership with the University of Saint Joseph. This institution is an equal opportunity provider”.