This recipe provided by Connecticut Department of Public Health WIC and SNAP-Ed
Meaty Stuffed Potatoes
These stuffed potatoes are hearty enough for a main course.
Course: Main Dish
- 3 potatoes (medium) (WIC approved)
- 1 cup chicken (cooked and diced)
- 1 cup broccoli (coarsely chopped) (WIC approved)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped) (WIC approved)
- 1/2 cup carrot (thinly sliced) (WIC approved)
- 3/4 cup water (hot)
- 3/4 cup 1% or nonfat/skim milk (WIC approved)
- 1 tbs whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded) or 1/2 cup shredded cheese (WIC approved)
Scrub potatoes. Remove any bad spots. Do not peel. Cut each in half.
In a covered saucepan, boil potatoes in just enough water to cover the pieces. When they are fork-tender (about 15 to 20 minutes), remove from heat and drain. Set aside. (Note: you can also pierce whole potatoes with a knife or fork in several places and cook in microwave without water until fork tender, then cut each in half).
Meanwhile, in a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, combine cooked meat, broccoli, onion, carrots and water.
Boil until vegetables are fork tender - about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Combine milk, flour and pepper. Mix well.
Stir flour mixture into meat mixture until well blended.
Stir in cheese. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes longer or until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
To serve, place 2 potato halves on each plate and mash the middle somewhat. Spoon about one third cup of the meat mixture over each potato half.
Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Replace cheddar cheese with low-fat cheese.
- Replace chicken with turkey, beef, or pork.