This recipe provided by eatFresh.org
Dirty Rice and Blackeye Peas
The sausage in this dish also makes a lean and healthy option for breakfast. You'll need the recipe for Soulful Seasoning for this dish.
Servings: 9 cups
- 21/2 cups Fat free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Bay leaves
- 13/4 cups Long grain rice
- 2 cups Blackeye peas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1/2 cup Bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon Soulful Seasoning
- 6 ounces Turkey Apple Sausage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- In a large skillet, combine vegetable broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Add rice and blackeye peas to broth and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and place cooked rice and blackeye peas in a large bowl.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, Soulful Seasoning, Turkey Apple Sausage, garlic, parsley, and oregano.
- Sauté until sausage is thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Combine with rice and blackeye pea mixture. Serve while hot.
- Cut this recipe in half to save money.
- The sausage in this dish also makes a lean and healthy option for breakfast. You'll need the recipe for Soulful Seasoning for this dish.