This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Cooking Matters.
Haitian Style Chicken and Rice
Haitian inspired chicken thighs with brown rice
Course: Main Dish
- 2 cups brown rice uncooked
- 2 pounds boneles, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbs fresh
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1/2 small serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced (optional)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
On a separate plastic cutting board, trim the excess fat from the chicken thighs and dice into 1 inch cubes.
Place a skillet on medium heat and add the oil. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken cubes and cook until they are browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the water, lime juice, thyme, onions, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Serve over brown rice.
- Top with diced ripe avocado and more bell peppers
- Use cubed pork loin or chicken breast instead of chicken thighs
- Use a habanero pepper instead. Put the pepper into the mixture whole during step 4 and remove before serving.