This recipe provided by Kellogg’s Healthy Beginnings
Crispy Italian Eggplant
A scrumptious version of eggplant Parmesan. A crisp coating of cereal and Parmesan cheese bakes on the eggplant slices before they are served with warm marinara sauce.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups corn flake cereal crushed to 2 cups
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium eggplant about 1 lb.
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- On piece of wax paper place flour. In shallow dish beat together eggs and water. On another piece of wax paper combine cereal, Parmesan cheese and garlic salt.
- Slice eggplant into twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices. Dip slices into flour mixture, coating both sides and shaking off excess. Then dip in egg mixture and roll in cereal mixture, pressing cereal mixture onto both sides of slices. Place in single layer on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, in small microwave-safe dish heat marinara sauce at high for 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes or until warm. Place eggplant slices on serving plates. Spoon marinara sauce on top.
Rice flake or rice crisp cereal may be substituted for the corn flakes.