This recipe adapted from a recipe provided by Kellogg’s Healthy Beginnings
Rice and Tuna Casserole
Servings: 6 1 1/2 cup servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 cups 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cans 5 oz. each tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli; sliced carrots; or frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine, melted
- In large saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt and paprika. Add milk and mustard. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, one-fourth at a time, until melted.
- In greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish layer rice, broccoli, tuna and cheese mixture.
- In small bowl toss together cereal and 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle over top of cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400°F about 18 minutes or until heated through and bubbly around edges. Serve hot.