Swiss Chard and Lentil Soup
Recipe from Arcadia Mobile Market Seasonal Cookbook, By JuJu Harris Photography by Molly M. Peterson
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Several sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 pound Swiss chard washed and sliced thinly
- 1 lemon wedged
- In a large soup pot add the lentils, water, bayleaf and thyme. Over medium – high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- In a skillet over medium – low, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring until it softens. Then add the garlic, coriander, cayenne and Swiss chard. Cook for five minutes, until the Swiss chard wilts.
- Add the Swiss chard mixture to the lentils and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in each bowl.