This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Magazine.
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 can (15oz) low-sodium black beans 1/2 liquid drained
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
Heat the skillet on medium-low and add oil into the pan.
Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, until it begins to turn clear.
Add the garlic and tomatoes to the pan and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
Add the ground cumin, chili powder, beans, and water. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring gently the entire time.
Remove from the heat and partially mash with a large fork or potato masher.
6. Add the cheese, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir until the cheese melts completely.
Serve warm or at room temperature
- Add additional ingredients such as leftover chicken or veggies
- Make a meal out of this by serving with grilled chicken or in a burrito/quesadilla
- Use it to make nachos - pour dip over tortilla chips, sprinkle with cheese, and microwave for 30 seconds
- Try using a small can of drained diced tomatoes instead of fresh
- Use 1 tablespoon dried cilantro instead of fresh; just add it in during step 4