Tofu Hacks - Mix Coat, Swap and Top
Every WIC food has a specific nutrition role to fill. Why Tofu? Tofu provides a low-fat source of:
- Protein, which provides energy and helps your body build bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, blood, enzymes and hormones.
- Calcium, which helps your body build and maintain strong bones
- Swap half a cup of silken tofu for yogurt in smoothies to add more low fat protein.
- Swap silken tofu for heavy cream in creamy soup recipes.
- Mix some crumbled soft tofu into ground meat in tacos, casseroles, dumplings and other recipes to lower the fat and get more servings out of the meal.
- Swap crumbled firm tofu for eggs, season and add chopped veggies to make a delicious breakfast scramble.
- Swap ¼ cup silken tofu for each egg in baking recipes.