This recipe provided by eatFresh.org
This soup tastes just as good or better the next day. It’s a perfect, make-ahead recipe.
Course: Main Dish, Soups
Servings: 4 cups
Calories: 390 kcal
- 11/2 cups onion
- 31/2 cups Canned reduced sodium chicken broth
- 11/4 pounds Bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 cup Chayote squash
- 3/4 cup Canned low sodium pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to brown, stirring occasionally.
Add broth and cover saucepan; increase heat to high. When broth starts to boil, add chicken, squash, beans, chili powder, and garlic powder.
Bring to a boil again; lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove chicken from soup and let cool slightly. Shred into small pieces. Add shredded chicken back to soup.
Pour soup into bowls and top with tortilla pieces and avocado. Serve immediately.
- In a hurry? Use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken.