This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Chop Chop Magazine.
3-Bean Veggie Tacos
This 30-minute meal makes 10 tacos and will have your whole family wanting more!
Course: Main Dish
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bag frozen peppers and onions
- 1 15oz can low-sodium black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 diced tomato (optional)
- 1 diced avocado (optional)
- 8 oz low fat plain yogurt (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (optional)
Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat and add frozen peppers and onions and cover. Allow to cook covered for 2-3 minutes until thawed.
Uncover and stir, allowing extra water to evaporate for 1 minute.
Add the beans, chili powder, and cumin to the pan and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Add the cheese, cilantro, and juice of the lime and mix in until heated.
Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds and serve with the bean mixture.
- Use leftover chicken, beef, or pork in place of half the beans
- Use fresh peppers if available
- Add a small can of corn, rinsed & drained
- Try corn tortillas instead of wheat
- Serve over brown rice if you don’t have tortillas
- Use leftovers for a taco salad the next day