This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC
African Peanut Soup
Peanuts make this satisfying soup protein-packed
- 1 tbs canola or olive oil
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can low-sodium tomato paste
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 scallions
- 1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium- heat and add the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, peanut butter, cayenne, and salt. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the rice and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and peanuts.
- Substitute low-sodium vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian soup
- Add 2 cups of spinach at the very end for more vegetables
- Use quick cooking rice to reduce the cooking time
- Add 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Add cooked chicken, shrimp, or pork at the end for added protein
- Garnish with chopped avocado
- Add a little extra water or broth if the soup becomes too thick