Every WIC food has a specific nutrition role to fill. Why canned fish? They provide a great source of:
- Protein, which provides energy and helps your body build bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, blood, enzymes and hormones.
- Calcium (from bone-in salmon/sardines), which helps your body build and maintain strong bones
- Omega 3 fatty acids, (from canned salmon), which help prevent heart disease and may help improve your mood.
Canned Fish Hacks for Better Health. Fish is a great low cost protein option for any time of day.
- Mix canned fish into pasta dishes or casseroles
- Swap mayonnaise for plain yogurt or mashed white beans for your tuna salad
- Coat tuna or salmon patties with crushed cereal and pan fry for a good texture
- Mix canned salmon into your omelet
Top a whole-wheat pita with hummus and canned salmon for a quick lunch.