This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Chop Chop Magazine.
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
Guilt-free Alfredo with the same delicious flavor as a full-fat version!
Servings: 6 1 cup servings
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cubed into bite-size peices
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups chopped broccoli frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup shredded mazzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- pepper to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Heat water in a large pot for the pasta and prepare according to package directions.
- Heat a large skillet on medium and add oil to the pan.
- Once heated, add the diced chicken to the pan. Stir every 20-30 seconds and allow it to cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked through to 165°F. Covering it will also help it cooker faster. Adjust heat as needed.
- Add the flour to the pan with the cooked chicken and stir well until it begins to lightly toast, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, milk, and garlic powder to the pan.
- Whisk well to break up lumps and allow the liquid to come to a simmer. The mixture will begin to thicken as it simmers after 2-3 minutes.
- If using frozen broccoli, place in a strainer and rinse under lukewarm water to thaw (or microwave for 2 minutes). Drain the water and add to the pan. Fresh chopped broccoli can be added directly into the pan. Stir frequently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix sauce with the cooked pasta, pepper to taste and serve.
Tips & Suggestions
- Use precooked chicken to save time
- Substitute your vegetables depending on what is in season
- Try different types of WIC pasta
- Use 1/2 block of low-fat-cream cheese in place of the mozzarella cheese
- Add chopped, fresh herbs such as dill, thyme, or rosemary, at the end of cooking for more flavor