This recipe provided by Kellogg’s Healthy Beginnings
Corn Chowder with Parmesan Croutons
- 1 cup rice and corn square cereal
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken brooth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in pieces about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated fat-free milk
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives or sliced green onions
- Place cereal in 1-quart, zipper-type plastic bag. Drizzle oil over cereal. Add 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese. Close bag and gently toss until evenly coated. Spread in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° F for 5 minutes or until browned. Cool completely.
- In medium saucepan combine broth, potatoes, corn, garlic and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Do not drain.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl whisk together milk, flour and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until boiling and slightly thickened. Stir in chives. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.