This recipe provided by eatFresh.org
Dirty Rice and Blackeye Peas
The sausage in this dish also makes a lean and healthy option for breakfast. You'll need the recipe for Soulful Seasoning for this dish.
Course: Main Dish
Servings: 9 cups
- 21/2 cups Fat free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Bay leaves
- 13/4 cups Long grain rice
- 2 cups Blackeye peas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1/2 cup Bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon Soulful Seasoning
- 6 ounces Turkey Apple Sausage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
In a large skillet, combine vegetable broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
Add rice and blackeye peas to broth and cover.
Reduce heat to simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 18 to 20 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and place cooked rice and blackeye peas in a large bowl.
Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, Soulful Seasoning, Turkey Apple Sausage, garlic, parsley, and oregano.
Sauté until sausage is thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes.
Combine with rice and blackeye pea mixture. Serve while hot.
- Cut this recipe in half to save money.
- The sausage in this dish also makes a lean and healthy option for breakfast. You'll need the recipe for Soulful Seasoning for this dish.