This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Chop Chop Magazine.
Fresh homemade apple sauce with cinnamon
Course: Snacks & Desserts
Servings: 6 1/2 cup servings
- 6 apples cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
In a saucepan, combine the apples and water.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes. Stir often until the apples are cooked through.
Stir in the cinnamon (and honey or sugar if using) and cook for 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat, cool, and serve.
- Substitute pears for some of the apples
- Add in 1 cup of chopped strawberries for a twist
- Serve warm with vanilla yogurt
- Store in small individual Tupperware containers for a quick snack
- Add a tablespoon of maple syrup
- Top with nuts or raisins
- Have kids help you:
- Wash the apples
- Measure ingredients
- Stir the pot
- Taste test