This recipe provided by eatFresh.org
Lentils are high in protein and more delicate tasting than beans. Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Servings: 4 cups
- 1/2 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Canned lentils
- 1 Can of vegetable
- 1/2 pound Turkey or chicken sausage
- 1/2 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dry thyme or Italian herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil over medium heat in a large pot. Cook sausage (optional) 5-10 minutes until brown then remove from pot and set aside. Drain oil from pot.
- Add remaining oil, onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Add broth, sausage and bay leaf (optional). Boil moderately for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes (canned lentils are already cooked and will become mushy if cooked much longer).
- Stir in vinegar (optional), season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chopped leek can be substituted for onion.
Total calories: 213.2 Total fat: 8.1 g Saturated fat: 1.8 g Carbohydrates: 18 g Protein: 17.1 g Fiber: 6.3 g Sodium: 712.4 mg
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 712mg | Fiber: 6g