This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Magazine.
Microwavable Macaroni and Cheese
Microwavable whole wheat mac and cheese with veggies
- 1/3 cup whole wheat macaroni pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup frozen peas and/or mashed frozen butternut squash
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pinch pepper
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Combine the pasta and water and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Carefully remove from microwave using an oven mitt and stir. Continue to microwave in 2 minute intervals until pasta is fully cooked. This will take about 6-8 minutes depending on the microwave. If the pasta absorbs all of the water before it is cooked, add an additional 2 tablespoons of water.
- Measure the milk, frozen peas, and cheese and add to the bowl with the pasta. Mix well and place back in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir again and continue to microwave in 30 second intervals until the cheese is melted and the peas are cooked.
- Optional: If using frozen butternut squash, microwave separately according to package directions, and mash with fork. Add during step 2.
- Carefully remove from the microwave, cool, and serve with pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste.
- For added flavor, try: dried mustard, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and/or Worcestershire sauce.
- Adjust the type of milk for preference or allergy as needed
- Try different types of WIC-approved pastas
- Add in different types of frozen, fresh or canned vegetables such as carrots, green beans, broccoli, tomatoes and/or spinach