This recipe provided by foodhero.org
Peanutty African Stew
Servings: 8 cups
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder or four garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp red pepper optional
- 2 cups medium diced peeled sweet potato or yam
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat or 1% milk
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts optional
- green onion, thinly sliced optional
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and milk. Return to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with peanuts and green onion, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Substitute a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach for the fresh spinach.
- Flavor boosters: chopped cilantro, red and green peppers, raisins.
- To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.