- 1 pound eggplant (1 large, two small)
- 4 small sweet peppers (or two large)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes diced (or substitute 4 cups cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup basil finely sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans
- Using a cutting board, cut the eggplant into 2-inch cubes. Set aside. Core the sweet peppers, discarding the seeds and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large skillet, over medium-heat, heat the olive oil. Add the eggplant and cook until golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook the peppers, onion, and garlic until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Return the eggplant to the skillet, and add the tomatoes. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the tomatoes have reduced down to a thick sauce.
- Stir in the basil, salt, pepper, and garbanzo beans. Remove from heat and serve.