This recipe provided by FoodHero.org
Servings: 10 cups
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 can (15 oz.) stewed, diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2/3 cup barley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large soup pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and onion until they are golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture is at a light simmer. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve hot in a soup bowl.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon
- Use any fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables you have on hand.