- 1 lb. medium-sized asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1 cup Mozzarella hand shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup almonds slightly crushed
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon zest and red chili pepper flakes optional garnish
- Steam asparagus until very al dente (barely cooked). Remove and place in ice bath with lemon wedges to preserve color. (This can be done the day before.)
- Preheat oven on broil setting.
- Place asparagus on an ovenproof platter. Top with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Broil the asparagus in the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese melts and begins to turn golden brown.
- In the meantime, in a medium-sized pan, melt the butter on low heat and add Marcona almonds. Cook until almonds start to toast and the butter lightly browns. Remove from heat.
- Remove asparagus from the oven. Pour toasted almonds and brown butter over asparagus.
- Add lemon zest and red chili pepper flakes as an optional garnish, and serve.