Every WIC food has a specific nutrition role to fill. Why breakfast cereals? They provide a great source of:
- Iron, which your body uses build blood cells that take oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body.
- Folate/Folic acid, which helps with cell growth and development.
- Fiber (from whole grain options), which helps keep you regular and helps you feel full after a meal. Certain fibers can also help control blood cholesterol levels and prevent heart disease.
- Swap crushed cereal for breadcrumbs for any recipe that call for them.
- Swap seasoned corn or rice flakes for expensive croutons and salad toppers.
- Coat chicken or fish with crushed corn or rice cereal to make crisp lower fat oven fried family favorites.
- Mix crushed rice, corn, or wheat flake cereal into meatball, meatloaf, or meat patty recipes.
- Top desserts or casseroles with crushed cereal drizzled with butter or sprinkled with cheese.