This recipe provided by foodhero.org
Servings: 4 cups
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 1/2 tsp butter or margarine
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped fresh or frozen
- 1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion and carrot in margarine or butter until onions begin to brown. Add broth and broccoli. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In another container, slowly stir the milk into the flour until smooth. Stir the milk mixture into the soup. Bring to a boil and continue stirring until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes
- Add cheese and pepper. Heat over low heat until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.