This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Magazine.
Servings: 6 1 cup servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped garlic
- 4 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 2/3 cup chopped basil or 1 tbsp dried
- 6 tbsp shredded cheese parmesan or mozzarella
- Heat a soup pot on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- When the oil begins to sizzle, add the onions and stir using a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and cover. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the pot with a splash of water. Cover and let cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Toast whole wheat bread and place in the bottom of soup bowls for serving. Ladle 1 cup of soup in to each bowl. Top with shredded cheese and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Suggestions
- No fresh tomatoes to be found? Try used a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes instead!
- Add ½ cup of brown rice or pasta. Make sure to allow extra cooking time if you choose to!
- Add 1 can of rinsed and drained pinto beans at step 4 for added protein.
- Add 1 cup fresh spinach or other leafy greens for more veggies at step 4.
- Use 1 tablespoon of dried basil during step 3 if you don’t have fresh basil.
- Try rubbing fresh garlic on the toasted bread before serving for added flavor.