This recipe is provided by Connecticut Department of Public Health WIC and SNAP-Ed
- 2 eggs (WIC approved)
- 1/2 cup 1% or nonfat/skim milk (WIC approved)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (WIC approved)
- light syrup or fruit (optional)
- Preheat the griddle over medium heat, or set an electric frying pan at 375 degrees.
- Put eggs, milk, and vanilla in a pie pan or shallow bowl and beat with a fork until well mixed.
- Grease the griddle or pan with a thin layer of oil or use nonstick spray.
- Dip both sides of bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture and cook on the hot griddle or frying pan.
- Cook on one side until golden brown. Turn the bread over to cook the other side. It will take about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with light syrup, applesauce, fruit slices, or jam.
- Sliced fresh strawberries.
- Sliced bananas.
- Frozen berries: such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries.
- Canned fruit in 100% juice.
- You can freeze the French Toast and warm up in the toaster for a quick hot breakfast. Recipe adapted from: http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/fantastic-french-toast