This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC and adapted from Chop Chop Magazine.
Servings: 6 people
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 15oz can corn rinsed & drained
- 1 15oz can pinto beans rinsed & drained
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 bunch green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup queso fresco or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare the brown rice according to package directions.
- Open the can of corn, pour into a strainer, rinse well and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Open the can of pinto beans, pour into a strainer, rinse well and add to the mixing bowl.
- Dice the red pepper and green onion and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the next 6 ingredients (olive oil through cheese) to the mixing bowl and stir well. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Use different types of beans
- Use fresh or frozen corn instead
- Add additional spices
- Use other grains besides rice
- Serve as an entrée or side salad
- Warm in the microwave, add cheese, and roll into a burrito
- Serve on top of grilled fish or chicken
- Serve as vegetarian tacos