This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC
Servings: 6 enchiladas
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cups chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus 1/4 cup for garninsh
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 whole wheat or corn tortillas
- sliced green onions for garnish
- For the Enchilada Sauce
- 1 15 oz can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregeno
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Crumble beef into a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole pan and stir in the chopped onion. Cover loosely and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes until the beef reaches 155°F. Stir every 2 minutes.
- Once the meat is cooked, stir to break up the meat and drain the extra fat into a spare bowl and throw away when cool.
- Stir in the spinach, cheese, yogurt, salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave if desired.
- Spoon 1/3 cup filling into the center of each tortilla and fold up. Lay flat in the casserole pan with the seam facing down.
- Mix all ingredients for the enchilada sauce in a microwave-safe container. Cover and Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Pour sauce over tortillas, cover, and microwave again on high for 2-4 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheese.
- Try using ground turkey instead of beef
- Add extra vegetables such as chopped tomatoes or peppers
- Try different types of shredded cheese
- Add red pepper flakes for a little spice
- This can also be made on the stove top using a sauté pan
- Use frozen or fresh spinach