This recipe courtesy of Cooking Matters
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Medium mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Heavy skillet
- Baking sheet
- Rolling pin (optional)
- 6 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cut-up fresh fruit
- Remove cream cheese from refrigerator and allow to warm to room temperature on counter top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice crust off bread. Flatten with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy skillet to about 1/8-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, in a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and milk with a fork until smooth. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Spread a generous Tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on each piece of cooled bread. Arrange about 1/3 cup of fruit on top of each tart.
Feel free to use your favorite combination of fruit to make these tarts—you’ll need 2 cups total of cut-up fruit and/or berries. Use what’s in season—diced mangoes, apples, pears, melon or pineapple, berries (slice or halve larger ones) and orange or grapefruit segments all make good toppings.