Your humble, nutrient-dense, vegetable.
Learn everything you need to know about potatoes by tapping 'Show Me' below! Dig into potato nutrition and cooking methods or discover the best ways to store potatoes by checking out the storage guide. Learn fun history facts about potatoes and get answers to the most frequently asked potato questions.
Skillet Potatoes with Eggs and Spiced Tomato Sauce
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 small white or sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 14.5-ounce can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. potatoes cut into 1/4-inch rounds, then quartered crosswise
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces cheddar or other cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves or cilantro leaves
- Hot pepper sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, and turmeric; sauté until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices from can and 1 cup water; simmer until sauce thickens and is reduced to 1 3/4 cups, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 remaining teaspoons oil in heavy well-seasoned cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté potatoes until tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Using wooden spoon, push potatoes to edge of skillet.
- Crack eggs into center of skillet and cook until whites are set and yolks are creamy, about 6 minutes.
- Spoon half of warm sauce over eggs and potatoes. (Cover remaining sauce and refrigerate to enjoy later.)
- Sprinkle eggs with cheese and parsley. Serve, passing hot sauce separately.