Your humble, nutrient-dense, vegetable.
Learn everything you need to know about potatoes by tapping 'Show Me' below! Dig into potato nutrition and cooking methods or discover the best ways to store potatoes by checking out the storage guide. Learn fun history facts about potatoes and get answers to the most frequently asked potato questions.
- 4 cups Canned Diced White Potato, drained and rinsed with cold water or fresh white potatoes that have been diced ½ inch, and fully cooked and chilled can be subbed.
- 2 each Large Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Frozen or Fresh Yellow Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup Red Onions
- 1/3 cup Red Bell Peppers, diced ¼ inch
- ¼ cup Fresh Jalapenos, diced 1/8 inch
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cumin, ground
- ½ tablespoon Mexican Oregano (Italian Oregano can be subbed)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- ½ tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream or yogurt
- 1/4 cup Green Onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (204 °C)
- If using fresh potatoes, cook them by placing diced fresh potatoes in a pot and cover them with water. Place the potatoes over medium high heat and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool until they can be handled
- In a large bowl, combine the drained and cooled potatoes, eggs, cheddar, corn, garlic, onions, peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, and seasonings. Mix all the ingredients together very well, try to break up the potatoes a little with your hands so that you get a combination of big pieces and some smooth mashed potato type texture.
- Form the mixture into patties that are 3 inches in diameter and about 1 inch thick. You should get 16 (3-4 ounce) patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the potato patties for about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the potato cakes to a nonstick baking sheet, place the potato cakes in a 400 °F (204 °C) oven and bake for 5-6 minutes or until they are hot and crispy.
- Arrange the potato cakes on a plate and garnish with the sour cream and green onions. Serve these immediately.