Your humble, nutrient-dense, vegetable.
Learn everything you need to know about potatoes by tapping 'Show Me' below! Dig into potato nutrition and cooking methods or discover the best ways to store potatoes by checking out the storage guide. Learn fun history facts about potatoes and get answers to the most frequently asked potato questions.
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded if desired and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz. can diced or fresh tomatoes with juice
- 1 ½ lbs. small red potatoes quartered
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions chopped (optional)
- ½ cup low-fat cheddar cheese optional
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno pepper and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, potatoes, black beans, salt and pepper increasing heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover, simmering for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Cool slightly and transfer 1/3 mixture to a blender and carefully blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup, 1/3 at a time or use an immersion blender instead.
- If soup is too thick, add water or broth a little at a time. If soup is too thin, return to medium heat and simmer, stirring often until desired consistency being careful not to burn.
- Top each bowl of soup with 1 1/2 Tablespoons low-fat cheddar cheese, and serve with green onion garnish
- Prepare a batch in advance and save in individual portions. This soup will improve when chilled and reheated and it freezes great.
- Use an immersion blender for the quickest, safest way to puree any soup. Don’t have a blender? Eat as-is for a hearty chunky alternative.
- Any potato will work here. Leave the skins on and cut into equal size pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Top the soup with hot sauce and chopped sweet bell peppers for more flavor and texture.