- 4 tablespoons 60ml Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups 300g Yellow Onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon 1g Crushed Red Chili Flakes
- 4 tablespoons 20g Fresh Ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons 10g Fresh Garlic, chopped
- 2 each Bay Leaves
- 3 tablespoons 15g Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons 4g Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup 150g Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons 4g Serrano Chilies, finely chopped
- 1 pound 454g White Potatoes, Peeled cut into chunks
- 1 pound 454g Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cups 720ml Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1/4 cup Cilantro leaves
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat, add the vegetable oil and begin sauteing the onions and the chili flakes until fragrant. You don’t want to get any color on the onions so reduce the heat if need be.
- Add the ginger and allow it to cook with the onions for 1-2 minutes before adding the garlic. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, curry powder, and sugar and cook with the onions, garlic, and ginger for about 2-3 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes and chilies and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable stock/broth and allow it to come to a boil then reduce to a simmer. You will want to use a spoon or a rubber spatula to stir in any of the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan into the broth, there is lots of flavor in there.
- Cover the pot and simmer the potatoes for about 10-12 minutes or until they are just about tender. Add the cauliflower florets and stir to combine. Cook the vegetables for another 5-6 minutes or until the potatoes and the cauliflower are perfectly tender but not falling apart. Remove from the heat. Cover the pot and allow it to sit for about 15-20 minutes this will deepen the flavor and give them a chance to meld. Of course, this can be made the day before and the flavor gets even better the longer it sits.
- Serve the aloo gobi by dishing it up into bowls and serving it with some potato flatbread called (aloo naan) or serve it over rice (Traditional), or even better mashed potatoes (non-traditional).
Serving: 6g | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Sodium: 330mg | Potassium: 715mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin C: 51.1mg