Your humble, nutrient-dense, vegetable.
Learn everything you need to know about potatoes by tapping 'Show Me' below! Dig into potato nutrition and cooking methods or discover the best ways to store potatoes by checking out the storage guide. Learn fun history facts about potatoes and get answers to the most frequently asked potato questions.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 lbs. Russet potatoes scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground or cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a large baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place whole potatoes (do not poke) into microwave-safe dish.
- Cover dish. (If covering dish with plastic wrap, poke small hole in plastic.)
- Microwave on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes depending on strength of microwave.
- Use oven mitts to remove dish from microwave; carefully remove cover from dish due to steam build-up and let cool.
- Cut each potato into 8 wedges. Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil; spread in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spray with olive oil cooking spray, turn wedges and spray again.
- Bake for 10 minutes more or until fries are golden brown and spray once more.
- Mash together rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl with the back of a spoon; sprinkle over cooked potatoes and toss well to coat.
Baked Chili Cheese FriesOmit rosemary and black pepper. Stir together 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder and 1 teaspoon each: dried cilantro, onion powder, garlic powder and ground cumin in a small bowl. Sprinkle on potatoes before baking. Sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese over cooked potatoes and bake for a minute or 2 more to melt cheese. Cost per serving: $.90 Nutritional analysis per serving with skins:
Calories: 230, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 500mg, Potassium: 747mg, Carbohydrates: 33g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 9g, Vitamin A: 15%, Vitamin C: 60%, Calcium: 35%, Iron: 10%
Steakhouse Baked Barbecue FriesOmit rosemary and stir together salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder in a small bowl. Brush potato wedges with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce then sprinkle seasonings over potato wedges before baking. Cost per serving: $.60 Nutritional analysis per serving with skins:
Calories: 180, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 430mg, Potassium: 749mg, Carbohydrates: 34g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 9g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 60%, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 10%
Baked Garlic FriesOmit rosemary and stir 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic into baked fries; cook for a minute or 2 more. Cost per serving: $.50 Nutritional analysis per serving with skins:
Calories: 180, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 300mg, Potassium: 709mg, Carbohydrates: 32g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 60%, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 8%
Calories: 170kcal | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3.5g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 716mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin C: 1mg