This recipe provided by eatFresh.org
This soup tastes just as good or better the next day. It’s a perfect, make-ahead recipe.
- 11/2 cups onion
- 31/2 cups Canned reduced sodium chicken broth
- 11/4 pounds Bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 cup Chayote squash
- 3/4 cup Canned low sodium pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and cover saucepan; increase heat to high. When broth starts to boil, add chicken, squash, beans, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil again; lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from soup and let cool slightly. Shred into small pieces. Add shredded chicken back to soup.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with tortilla pieces and avocado. Serve immediately.
- In a hurry? Use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken.
Total calories: 390 Total fat: 12 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 32 g Protein: 41 g Fiber: 9 g Sodium: 600 mg