This recipe was provided by Massachusetts WIC
Adapted from Cookingmatters.org
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 2 5-6 oz cans light tuna, packed in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 large stalk of celery, diced or 2 small stalks
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn the oven-broiler on high.
- In a medium bowl, add the tuna and flake apart using a fork.
- Add the celery, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and black pepper. Mix well using a fork and place to the side.
- Add ½ cup tuna salad to each slice of bread. Add a tomato slice on top followed by the cheese.
- Place open-faced sandwiches on a baking sheet and put on the bottom rack of the oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Tuna salad may be served cold. Try it on a sandwich or over lettuce.
- Add 2 tablespoons diced red or green onion.
- Add 2 tablespoons dried cranberries.
- Add one small apple (diced) or ½ cup sliced grapes.
- Try using diced radishes in place of celery.