who we are
The Dr. Yum Project is a non-profit organization on a mission to help families and communities overcome barriers to eating well.
We all experience a variety of barriers when trying to eat well. At the Dr. Yum Project, we offer solutions for overcoming the most pressing and prevalent barriers, including:
- Misconceptions that healthy food must be expensive, will not taste good, and is too time-consuming
- Lack of basic cooking skills
- Lack of familiarity with fruits, vegetables, and other whole food
- Lack of access to cooking tools/equipment
- Decreased food access
- Nutrition myths
- Misconceptions about cultural foods
- Homelessness and housing insecurity
- Food insecurity
- Lack of nutrition education in most medical professionals training programs
We accomplish our mission by:
- Teaching people how to cook using more fruits, vegetables and other whole foods, both in-person and online
- Partnering with organizations to help at-risk communities learn to cook and eat better. Watch this video to learn more.
- Developing curricula for schools, like our research-based program “Dr. Yum’s Preschool Food Adventure” to help children and their families learn to cook and eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Watch this video to learn more.
- Engaging with physicians and other healthcare providers locally and nationally at annual meetings like the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo annual meeting to serve as a resource for nutrition and food education for professionals to use in counseling their patients. Watch this video to learn
dr. yum featured recipes
visit the dr. yum website
featured recipes from dr. yum
Want to try something different? Explore our healthy & fun recipes!
We wanted to create a recipe that would highlight summer veggies, but not feel heavy or too filling in the warm weather. Make sure to make enough for a few days because it’s even tastier the next day! This recipe also has none of the top eight most common food allergens, making it a great choice for families with food allergies.